Thursday, March 7, 2013

This past week has been pretty thrilling - for me anyways.  And I say this past week like it's Sunday, when in reality it's only Weds, but because I worked 5 days in a row and today is the second of my two consecutive days off, it's technically like my Sunday. That being said, I wish I still had a couple more days off, I'm not ready to go back yet.

My "welcome" packet for my herb class came in the mail yesterday.  I'll admit, I squeed.  Now I get to pick out the additional books and A/V items I would like.  I'm also in love with the idea of corresponding via snail mail.  I don't know what it is about it exactly, hand written letters, notes and experiments to be mailed off to be read by my teacher, evaluated and then a response mailed back.  It's almost like pen-pals.  While I don't eschew technology entirely (I am using a laptop...) I still own a flip phone, my digital camera is about 4 years old and I'd rather read a paper book than a digital one; so physically writing to someone is quite thrilling to me.  Nobody does that anymore.

I also learned that my Herbal Infusions class sold out, so I had to add another one for April (if you are interested in the April class, the link can be found in my previous post for more information).  I was floored when I found that out.  I can't wait to teach others about using herbs and adding them into their daily routine.  I'm hoping everybody who signed up get's a lot of it.  I also hope I don't talk to fast, or leave out important information.  I've already started practicing what I'm going to say.  Speaking of teaching others, a few months back, I made up a batch of elderberry syrup in preparation for the coming cold months/flu season.  One of my co-workers got sick, so I gave her a jar.  Last week, she made her own elderberry syrup and brought me some in the same jar. <3  In my opinion, that is the essence of what herbal/green medicine is - sharing herbs and knowledge with others and returning the favor.

I am going to share with you how to make your own elderberry syrup.  Make extra and give a jar to a friend.  While it is great to help you combat the flu/colds when you get sick, it's great to take daily to build up your immunity to prevent sickness :)  Nourishing your body daily is key.

The easiest way to make elderberry syrup is to first make an infusion of elderberries.  This is done by taking 1 oz of dried berries and steeping them in a pint of boiling water for 30 minutes.  Strain the liquid.  Add the hot liquid to a saucepan and 1 cup of honey and bring to a strong simmer.  You want the honey to "melt" down and assimilate with the elderberry infusion.  When everything is mixed and happy, pour into a jar and keep in the fridge.  It should keep for a couple months, but if you are taking a tablespoon daily, it won't last that long :)  For an added "pick me up" I will add a couple tablespoons to a mug of boiling water and drink it as a tea.  While this is commonly made in the fall to prepare for the cold season, dried berries are available all year long, so you can make it and use it any time.


No comments:

Post a Comment