Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fun With Slippery Elm

I went for a walk today and if I didn't know any better, I'd say it was spring.  Yes, it's still a little cold in my neck of the woods, but the sun is out, the robins are digging for worms, crocuses are in bloom and I actually have my window open a crack!  Whoa.

I ran some errands with Mr. X, visited some friends and came home to make some Slippery Elm balls.  Slippery Elm is a fabulous tree that grows here in North America and has some pretty fantastic properties.  I'm currently using the powered form of this tree, which is made from the inner bark.  What makes Slippery Elm so special is that it helps coat everything, soothing sore throats, coughing, bronchitis and your G.I. tract.  This is especially helpful for those suffering from asthma and digestive tract problems (like IBS or Crohns.)  Some people refer to this as "buffering."  So, the elm buffers the intestine or the throat and protects it, giving the body a chance to heal.  It also helps break up all the mucus stuck in your throat or bronchi and helps you to cough it up.
Slippery Elm contains all kinds of great things like sodium, potassium, calcium, iron, selenium, iodine, copper, zinc, phosphorus, bromine manganese and vitamin E. 
In addition to the balls that I made (or lozenges if you wish) you can also make a pretty tasty tea using the powdered herb if you are battling the flu/cold, or if you have an upset stomach.

To make the balls you'll need about and ounce and a half of loose slippery elm powder and some local honey.  As well as a couple bowls, spoons and apron - you are going to get a little messy.

My honey came from Mr. X's dad :)

Put one ounce of the slippery elm in a bowl and mix with honey to for a paste.  I found drizzling the honey over the elm and mixing it in was the most effective way to not over do it and add too much honey.
I wouldn't even really call this a "paste."  It's more like a really, really, really soft dough.
Next, just grab a small amount (like a "pinch" size) and roll it in your fingers.  Remember that 1/2 ounce of slippery elm powder you still have?  Dump that in a bowl, drop your pinch of dough into it and roll it around to coat it more.  Roll it in your palm to make a ball.  Ta da!
This is what they look like finished.  I stored them in an air tight container and tossed in the rest of the powdered elm to keep them from sticking together.  According to Susun Weed, these will keep for up to 10 years.  I only made a couple dozen, so I don't think they will last that long. 
The Slippery Elm kind of reminds me of a really mild cinnamon.  I would recommend taking these when you feel like you are starting to get a cold, if you have a sore or irritated throat or just because they taste yummy :)

To make the tea, pour a cup of boiling water over 1 T. of slippery elm powder.  Add a couple ounces of milk of your choice ( I prefer almond) and some sweetener.  If you are feeling crazy, you could add some cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cocoa, whatever you feel like.  This tea is good for an upset stomach, a cough, or just as an over all "buffer" to coat everything and help it run smoothly. 
If you try either of these recipes, let me know what you think!



2 comments:

  1. Where can I find this Slippery Elm? Or better yet, how do I prepare my own powder? My Mr. Z might even try this one if it's actually yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goddess Blessed in Lakewood carries Slippery Elm, as does Spirit Apothecary in Bedford Hts. Mountain Rose Herbs on-line does as well :) I haven't tried to prepare my own yet!

    ReplyDelete