Thursday, June 13, 2013

No Thank You Western Medicine

My life has been pretty boring these past few days - it's amazing how much having your wisdom teeth removed takes out of you. 
While I do have health insurance, I use it primarily to have my teeth cleaned twice a year and get my bi-yearly eye exam and new glasses.  I'm not a fan of Western Medicine at all.  I don't understand it. 
I do indulge in the occasional ibuprofen, it doesn't upset my stomach, doesn't contain any caffeine and it get's the job done. (nobody wants to be at work for 8 hours with raging cramps, waiting for the cramp bark and raspberry tea to kick in.) - beyond this however, I don't rely on any prescription or over the counter medications. 
I wouldn't go so far as to say I was terrified of having my teeth taken out, but I'm 28 (or will be on June 20) and I've never broken a bone, never had stitches, never had any form of anesthesia, I've never been to the ER (for myself) or experienced any sort of medical emergency or issue.  This was all completely new to me. 
In order to have my teeth out, the surgeon prescribed a 10mg Valium to take prior to my surgery.  I decided, despite my misgivings toward Western Medicine, that I would "follow the doctor's orders", at least at first, and see what happened.
The Valium was ridiculous.  My friend sent me a text message and I couldn't even coherently respond.  Dislike.
The surgery went off without a hitch.  I will hand it to Dr. Goldstein, he knows what he is doing.  I wasn't even in there an hour and a half.  I had essentially no bleeding and no complications.
Upon leaving the office, I was given a prescription for Prednesone and Percocet.  The first day home I took 3 Percoet.  The last one made me vomit.  I nixed those.  I continued to take the steroid to help with the swelling, but after 2 days I just felt "weird."  All I wanted to do was sleep, I felt spacy and couldn't focus.  I nixed those as well.  I've basically relied on a fairly healthy diet ("fairly" because let's face it, I can't eat shit right now so I'm going to indulge in the ice cream, pudding and mashed potatoes) my Plantain rinse, my warm salt water rinse and the occasional ibuprofen - I didn't have any pain until about 4 or 5 days after, at which point I had a dull ache in my right jaw. 
After getting all the "drugs" out of my system, I feel a million times better.  I felt more inclined to eat, drink a f*ck ton of water, get outside, get some sunshine and do a little weeding and yard work.  THAT is what has made me feel better and helped heal me.  Today marks six days since having my teeth out.  I'm still tender, sore and ever-so-slightly swollen but I'm feeling like a normal person again.
That being said, I think I'm going to continue to stick with my herbs and healthy diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment