Saturday, June 22, 2013

Birthday, Solstice and Dogs

Yesterday was the official first day of summer.  I found it fitting that it was finally "hot" out.  Today it's pretty warm and humid too - we are supposed to get thunderstorms later :) 
I haven't been good about taking pictures this week - but a lot of epic things have happened.
Wednesday night I got a frantic call from Mr. X informing me that Roxy (our Shepard mix) was unable to walk, she was drooling and her eyes were twitching.  I left work early and came home to find my dog basically acting as if she was drunk.  Vertigo, vomiting, unable to walk or stand.  Scary stuff.
We did some research and took her to the vet.  While it could be a number of different things, given the sudden onset and how greatly she has improved over the last 72 hours, I'm going to go with option number one - Vestibular Syndrome.  What is that you ask?  Well, for some reason, doctors/vets have no idea what causes this or how to cure it - the Vestibular nerve (located near her ear canal) becomes inflamed - typically in older dogs.  This inflammation causes twitchy eyes, drooling, vertigo, and ultimately the inability to stand or walk.  The only way to really deal with it is to give your dog Dramamine to curb the motion sickness enough that they can eat and drink.  We've had to carry her up and down the stairs and keep her harness on in order to help her walk and basically feed her by hand because her head is tilted so much.  Recovery can be in as little as a few days to as long as a few weeks.  After barely 3 days, she went from complete immobilization to standing and walking on her own.  She is still wobbly, her eyes have a slight twitch and her head is still cocked to the right, but she has vastly improved since Weds.  Hopefully by Monday she will be back to her old self.
So that happened.
Then Thursday was my birthday!  Woooo!  After getting the vet out of the way and learning what was going on, I had to get ready for the farmers market!  My friend Kara surprised me with an awesome handmade (and beaded!) necklace of a spider with a sugar skull bead!  Very awesome!  My brother showed up and gave me a new trunk that he had made to house all of my wares!  There are slots for all the jars of jam and shelves that fold out to hold my ZombieSocks!  And, it has wheels!
My evening concluded with pizza and some Arrested Development.
Yesterday I had the fam over, and my mom made her famous cheesecake and we played Cards Against Humanity.  All in all it was a good time.
And.......I also learned that I am now going to be blogging on the Lakewood Patch website about urban foraging and wild edibles!
I also, hopefully, will have big news soon, but that will have to wait!
Thanks for reading this!
Happy Summer :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment