Friday, June 14, 2013

Favorite Days

Today was one of my favorite kind of days.  I love getting up early and savoring as much out of my day as I can, and today was no exception.  I was up at 6:30am this morning because today we were going strawberry picking (we being my friend Morgan and myself).

We got to Fitch's early and it was still cool and overcast - some of the best weather from strawberry picking in my opinion.  We picked 8 quarts of strawberries total.  While checking out they had a few quarts of "preserve" berries that were a little over ripe so I bought one of those too.  I also got a quart of berries last night with my CSA share, so we were up to 10 quarts of berries.  Not bad.  I currently have 1 quart sitting on my counter for munching, 2 quarts macerating in some sugar and vanilla for jam making tomorrow and 3 quarts in my freezer for later use (Morgan took her 4 home to meet similar fates).  I'm beyond pumped that fruit is finally in season again.


After arriving home and prepping the berries for their various duties we set out to find some red clover.  Red clover is currently in bloom EVERYWHERE.  I had a small patch in my yard I was hoping to dry for infusion making, but the resident rabbit decided he/she wanted to eat it instead.  Better the clover than my veggies!

For today's purposes, it's convenient that I live near the freeway* - there are all kinds of wildflowers, edibles and medicinal plants growing along the freeway.  We found tons of Crown Vetch (not edible nor medicinal but beautiful non the less):
Chicory, which makes a wonderful coffee like beverage - we will be returning in the fall to collect the root to roast. (Those yellow flowers in the background are Trefoil.)

 Curly Dock :
Day Lily :
And, the shining star of the day, Red Clover:
We are currently drying the red clover on screens
I placed the screens on the back porch for about an hour to allow all the little critters we inadvertently brought home with us time to scamper away - and not in my house.
I've talked about infusions before, but just a quick tutorial, you take about an ounce of dried herb (which is equal to roughly a cup) and place it in a jar, cover with boiling water, steep over night, strain and drink.  It's a very vitamin and mineral rich beverage.  Red clover is good because it is full of phytoestrogens and phytosterols so it is an excellent anti-cancer herb as well as good for women dancing with menopause.  Ancient peoples used Red Clover as an herb of immorality and protection and according to Old Wives, placing a blossom or two in an amulet bag would insure good health and a strong spirit.  You can tincture the fresh blossoms in alcohol, mix them with honey for a Red Clover Blossom Honey, or dry them like I do and use them for infusions.
During our travels today, we also found some Sumac with berries that will be very ripe soon - Sumac-ade!  About 6 pear trees with young pears nearing maturity and a mulberry tree with berries that will hopefully be ready next week!


*When I say "along the freeway" we are actually below the freeway, where large areas of grass and wildflowers, which are regularly mowed by the city, but not sprayed, are located.  We are not right on top of cars, exhaust and other debris.



No comments:

Post a Comment