Thursday, May 30, 2013

Two In One Day!

Since I got my bitching out earlier, I figured I would come back this evening and write about some happy things.  A lot has been going on the last week, mostly prepping for up coming events (you know, the usual...)
For starters, I'm in the process of making my own kombucha!

I was fortunate enough to have a friend who gave me a scoby (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast.)  There is a lot of information on-line about making kombucha and what it is, so I'm not going to get into it.  But basically it is a yummy fermented tea that helps introduce a lot of good bacteria and microbes into your gut.  It takes about 7-10 days to ferment and I started mine this past Sunday, so I will know if it fermented and worked properly rather soon!  Can't wait!

I've also been slaving away in the kitchen making things and testing recipes for the upcoming farmers market - which if you've been following  along, you know I've been prepping for this for quite some time.  Today we made Twinkies!  - we are calling them Canooooes so as not to be confused with the famous ones.  We also made our first batch of rose jelly - it's GORGEOUS!  And I think we'll be making a few more batches!


The roses came right from my backyard.  I've got a gorgeous wild rose bush that has been growing for longer than I've been here.  It even survived being hacked to pretty much nothing 3 years ago and still came back stronger than ever!  It's one of my favorite things in the yard.  And it makes such a gorgeous jelly!

To continue with the theme of things I've been making - I make creatures out of socks.  This produces a lot of bits and pieces of socks that aren't quite big enough to do much with.  A couple weeks ago I ran out of socks (a tragedy in my house) and only had some scraps to work with.  Scrapies were born.  I've made 6 so far, and all will be available at the show I'm doing Saturday, Crafty Mart!  Each are only $5 and I love all of them!

Well, it's been a long day and I've still got some things to do before bed.
Thanks for reading this :)  Hopefully I will see you at Crafty Mart or LEAF!

No comments:

Post a Comment