Thursday, May 30, 2013

Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

I think this year is going to be very trying for me on the gardening front.  Due to the cold snap we got last week, I've officially lost 2 tomato plants and I think a few more may be following along.  In addition to killing the tomato plants, I've noticed a lot of my sprouts have basically just stopped growing.  I'm hoping this warmer weather will encourage them to shoot up and out now.  My cantaloupe still has not sprouted either.  And, if that wasn't annoying enough, I went out to check everything out 2 nights ago and found 3 of my beans and 1 of my sunflowers smashed. 
Now, I've already determined I've got a rabbit - he ate all my red clover - but this was not a rabbit.  This was a dog.  I've seen my downstairs neighbor's (I live in a duplex) dog walking through my garden previously, so I just assumed it was him.  The only thing I had on hand for a "quick fix" was some bird netting.  My hope was that would at least keep him from wondering through, especially if he got stuck. 
Well, yesterday morning I let Roxy out and guess what? My neighbor on the other side of me has a dog now too.  A boxer/pit bull terrier mix.  A very aggressive I-want-to-come-through-the-fence-and-eat- you boxer/pit bull terrier mix.  And I'm not just saying this because it's a pit bull.  I've known many a pit bull and they are sweet hearts. 
So, Roxy sees this dog, and this dog sees Roxy and they ran to the fence and started going at it running up and down, barking and growling - the netting did nothing. ;(  To make matters worse, both dogs are named Roxy, so screaming their names didn't help.

 Since I can only garden along the fence rows, building a fence would keep me and the dogs out, so that is out of the question.  So, the only thing we could think of was more tomato cages.  At least then the dogs have to run AROUND my plants instead of THROUGH them.  **crossing fingers**

Oi.  I'm hoping this time next year I'll be living in my own house, with my own yard and no neighbor's for at least a quarter mile.....

In other news, I've got Crafty Mart this weekend and the start of the Farmer's Market next Thursday!  Morgan and I will be making rose jelly today and we are doing a test run of the bakery item we will be selling.  Once we know how everything turns out, I'll reveal what it is!

I will hopefully be blogging more, now that the garden is in and I'll be taking a hiatus from doing shows, save the Farmers Market every week.  I'm going to be teaming up with my friend's husband to teach some Tai Chi workshops - I'll be doing some weed walks.  And I'm already prepping classes for the fall.

Thanks for reading this!


No comments:

Post a Comment