Monday, May 6, 2013

This past week has been somewhat long, stressful and frustrating.  My wisdom tooth decided to make an appearance (again) so I've been in pain for most of the week.  Being an herbalist, I strive to use only herbs when taking care of myself and my injuries; that being said, typically the only remedy suggested and known for taking care of tooth pain is cloves.  Well, guess what?  I'm highly sensitive (swollen-tongue-covered-in-canker sores kind of sensitive) to cloves.  So that rules that out; ibuprofen and I have become friends - I have an appointment with the oral surgeon on Friday to schedule the removal of this demon tooth.

While that has been going on, I've also had to get my garden ready, my garden plot ready, dandelion jelly made and lots of prepping and making of things for the Cleveland Flea this coming Saturday and the farmers market starting in June - this is the point where I loathe having a real job.

The good news is all of my seeds (save for a few because I ran out of potting soil) are in the ground or their respective pots.  The garden plot is pretty fantastic:
It doesn't look like much now, but in a few months....

I was pretty stoked to find some garlic mustard and cleavers around the area too!  And I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say I was excited to find garlic mustard.  Yes, I know it's an invasive - but have you ever eaten any?  It's quite yummy and you can make quite the tasty horseradish-like vinegar using the root.  I like to cook the greens down with some garlic, olive oil and a splash of veg. broth and let it simmer.  Toss with some pasta or serve over rice!  Yummy!

Dandelion jelly was made this week as well.  It'll be ready for sale here soon, I just need to make labels.  And I think we will be making another batch this week, in addition to a few quarts of dandelion wine. 

Isn't the jelly pretty?

1 comment: