Sunday, July 12, 2015

Maybe This Time It'll Stick

I'm sorry to say my last post hasn't been in over a year.  Life happens and sometimes you just don't feel like writing.  Essentially last year was monopolized with trying to buy a house.  We did not buy a house.  Fortunately, I got some wonderful new/old (my previous fantastic neighbors moved back!), so life here in our little duplex in Lakewood is wonderful again!
I've got an amazing garden going on out back, despite all the rain we've had this year.  My tomato plants are almost as big as I am at this point and I've been harvesting beans and peas like there is no tomorrow.  It feels amazing to be outside all the time, working in the garden, hanging out with the plants and just being part of the Universe, again.
In addition to the garden, wild crafting and making medicine, I've also been taking part in Herb School with Guido Mase and the Community Herbal Intensive at the Trillium Center in Conneaut, Ohio (about an hour and a half away from me.)  It's been a busy year.  I hope to be more vigilant with this blog and write on a regular basis again.  (I know I've said that before, but I'm hoping I mean it this time.) 

So, on that note, let's talk about some plants. 
I've talked about Plantain before, but I want to talk about her again, because she is so amazing.
There are two species of plantain growing in my neck of the woods, Plantago major and Plantago lanceolata, or broad-leaf and narrow-leaf plantain.

Broad leaf plantain

Flower head of the narrow leaf plantain.

Plantain is traditionally used for wounds.  Anything from cuts, abrasions, bee stings, and splinters.  It has a magical drawing property that will pull any type of debris or poison/venom out of your body.  This is how I used plantain two weeks ago.  I was in a hurry, not paying attention and unfortunately, stepped on a bee.  I quickly lifted my foot off the ground, removed the stinger and venom sack and grabbed a leaf of plantain out of the garden.  I chewed it up and made spit poultice, which I promptly applied to my sting.  Then I sat down and felt bad for the bee (honey bees can only sting once and then they die).  I bandaged my foot and continued to change out the poultice every couple of hours.  I did this for about 24 hours.  Then I left my foot open to breath.  It had very minor swelling and pain for the first full day after the sting, even less the following day and by the day after that (day 3) it wasn't even noticeable - save for the itching.  I LOVE this plant. 




No comments:

Post a Comment